Week 1: Get to know a housefly

This week in RTNN Take-out Science, we explored the housefly. Check out this short video to get a peek into what we saw. We love to hear from you! If you have any questions or comments, please send them to us at rtnanonetwork@ncsu.edu, post in the comments section below, or ask via Twitter (@RTNNsocial).

If you’d like to learn more about houseflies, visit these sites:

23 thoughts on “Week 1: Get to know a housefly

1. Thanks for doing this! My 8 year old is watching and my Durhamtech students are also going to watch during the semester.

• Thanks for tuning in, Michelle. Please reach out if you have any questions or have something you’d like to look at on future shows.

2. Nice video, I did not realize how microscopically-hairy flies would be. The contrast between manual labor and the use of computer technology with the light microscope and electron microscope was a cool fact.

• Great, Anna. Thanks for your feedback. Stay tuned. We’ll likely observe a butterfly in an upcoming episode!

3. I see fly walk on the ceiling all the time but never figured out how they did that until I watched this video! It is still fascinating to me how those little hairs with little flat ends can hold up the whole body weight of a fly.

4. It is interesting to see how such small insects can be so complex with all of the different functions it has. Also flies up-close look really hairy.

5. Thank you for a wonderful lesson. I will be sharing your video and your other links with my remedial biology class this week. Your video fits well with a comparison of a light microscope and an electron microscope. This was also a great opportunity to review the metric scale and the electromagnetic spectrum.