RTNN Director & NC State Site Director
Department of Materials Science & Engineering
North Carolina State University
Duke Site Director
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
UNC Site Director
Department of Chemistry
Department of Communication
North Carolina State University
- Jacob Jones (AIF Director, NC State) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- David Berube (PCOST Director, NC State) (email@example.com)
- Phil Barletta (NNF Director, NC State) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jim Cahoon (Site Director, UNC-CH) (email@example.com)
- Bob Geil (CHANL Director, UNC-CH) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Nan Jokerst (SMIF Director, Duke) (email@example.com)
- Mark Walters (SMIF Director, Duke) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
External Advisory Board
- Bob Therrien (Phononic)
- Joe Campbell (University of Virginia)
- Liana Fryer (Research Triangle Institute – RTI)
- John Hardin (NC Dept of Commerce)
- Caesar Jackson (NC Central University)
- Joe Magno (Small Business Consultant)
- Veena Misra (Director of NSF ERC ASSIST, NC State)
- John Prater (Army Research Office)
- Kathy Zarilla (Durham Technical Community College)
Phil Barletta, Technical Staff (email@example.com) Phil serves as Director of Operations for NNF. Prior to joining NC State, Dr. Barletta worked for close to a decade at RTI International. During his career, Dr. Barletta has studied bulk thermoelectrics, photovoltaics, long-wavelength IR detection, and solid-state lighting. His diverse research background includes publications regarding thermoelectrics, III-V material growth, and diamond-like carbon. He holds his PhD in Materials Science.
Ekaterina Bogomoletc, SEIN (firstname.lastname@example.org) Ekaterina is a second-year student in the Communication, Rhetoric and Digital Media doctoral program at NC State. With her background in journalism and public relations, Ekaterina focuses on studying mass media. More specifically, she seeks to find out how mass media change public opinion and human behavior.
Maude Cuchiara, RTNN Manager (email@example.com) Maude manages the RTNN and serves in a variety of roles to ensure RTNN’s success. She facilitates all client interactions with RTNN as well as communicates RTNN news, information, and events to relevant stakeholders. In addition, she coordinates the educational arm of RTNN by planning and implementing workshops, conferences, and outreach activities. She holds her Ph.D. in Bioengineering.
Carrie Donley, Technical Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) A research associate at CHANL, Carrie trains new users on a variety of tools including XPS, XRD, and AFM, advises users on sample characterization, and helps to organize workshops and outreach events. Dr. Donley holds her Ph.D. in Chemistry and has worked in both academic and industry settings.
Nicholas Eng, SEIN (email@example.com) Nicholas is a second-year Master of Science student with the department of Communication at NC State. His research interest is in Strategic Communication of issues relating to Science, Health, the Environment and Risk.
Bob Geil, Technical Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) As director of CHANL, Bob oversees all CHANL activities, trains new users on fabrication related equipment in CHANL, advises users on fabrication strategies to achieve their device goals, and helps to organize workshops and outreach events. Dr. Geil holds his Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering.
Randall Hammond, SEIN (email@example.com) Randall Hammond is a second-year student in the Communication, Rhetoric and Digital Media doctoral program at NC State. His work includes a focus on the use of video games for STEM education and outreach,
Melissa Kerr, Technical Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) As the Program Coordinator of SMIF, Melissa assists in planning, coordinating, and administering SMIF finances and activities. She coordinates and assists with outreach activities as part of the RTNN program. Melissa holds a MS degree in Chemistry and previously worked with adhesive chemistry before joining SMIF in 2018.
Holly Leddy, Technical Staff (email@example.com) R&D and Outreach Engineer for SMIF, Holly trains new users on AFM, Raman, and SEM equipment in SMIF. She advises users on biomedical related projects and manages and implements educational and outreach activities. Dr. Leddy has a PhD in Biomedical Engineering and worked as a researcher studying mechanobiology and arthritis at Duke University Medical Center prior to joining SMIF in 2016.
Catherine McKenas, Graduate Student Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) A Ph.D. student in Chemistry, Catherine assists users with SEM imaging, XPS data acquisition, and helps with our outreach programs as a part of the RTNN Peer-to-Peer Networking Program.
Michelle Gignac Plue, Technical Staff (email@example.com) Team Leader of Characterization and Imaging for SMIF, Michelle trains new users on SEM and TEM equipment in SMIF. She advises users on electron microscopy and sample preparation strategies. Ms. Plue holds a MS degree in Biomedical Science and was previously employed by the National Cancer Institute before joining Duke University in 2007.
Nicole Smiddy, Graduate Student Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) A Ph.D. student in Chemistry, Nicole assists users with SEM imaging, XPS data acquisition, and helps with our outreach programs as a part of the RTNN Peer-to-Peer Networking Program.
Phillip Strader, Project Scientist (email@example.com) Phillip coordinates and facilitates research and development through the RTNN utilizing the shared capabilities at the College of Textiles at N.C. State. Mr. Strader holds a M.S. in Textiles and served as a research assistant at the Nonwovens Institute prior to joining RTNN in 2016.
Talmage Tyler, Technical Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) Team Leader of Cleanroom Fabrication for SMIF, Talmage advises users on fabrication strategies to achieve their goals, and provides training and consultation on Electron Beam Lithography and Photolithography. Dr. Tyler holds a PhD in Materials Science and led research programs at a small company prior to joining Duke University in 2008.
Mark Walters, Technical Staff (email@example.com) The Director of SMIF, Mark manages the operations, administration and finances of SMIF. He trains new users on the XPS and XRD, and advises users on nano/micro fabrication and imaging and characterization of samples. Dr. Walters holds a PhD in Materials Science and has over 30 years experience in cleanroom fabrication and materials characterization in both industry and academia.
Jun Yan, Technical Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) A staff member at CHANL, Jun trains new users on fabrication related equipment in CHANL, advises users on fabrication strategies to achieve their device goals, and helps to organize workshops and outreach events. Dr. Yan holds his PhD in Chemical Engineering.
For information on our Peer-to-Peer Networking Program, please contact email@example.com directly.
Principal Faculty ExpertsOver 100 faculty members from the 3 partner universities support the development of new processes, tools, and instrumentation within the RTNN community. Our faculty affiliates have deep expertise across a broad array of topics in the following 6 emerging areas of nanotechnology research.
- Interfaces, Metamaterials, Fluidics, and Heterogeneous Integration
- Nanomaterials for Biology and Environmental Assessment
- Organic and Inorganic 1-D and 2-D Nanomaterials
- Textile Nanoscience and Flexible Integrated Systems
- Nanomaterials Simulation and Modeling
- Social, Ethical, and Environmental Implications of Nanotechnology
RTNN PartnersThe RTNN has developed strategic partnerships with the following entities in order to develop innovative programming and expand the breadth and reach of our technical capabilities:
- NC Department of Commerce’s Office of Science, Technology & Innovation
- Research Triangle Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC)
- PowerAmerica Institute
- Research Triangle Institute (RTI)
- NC Community College System
- NC Department of Public Instruction
- Morehead Planetarium & Science Center
- North Carolina Central University
- Durham Technical Community College
- Forsyth Technical Community College
- NC State WolfBytes Radio
- NC State Wolfpack Sports TV
- Environmental Flow Research Centre (EnFlo), University of Surrey
- European Centre of Research and Teaching of Geosciences of the Environment (CEREGE), Aix-Marseille University / National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) (France)